Civil Court, Family Law and Probate Information
The Santa Cruz County Recorders Office handles the recording of marriage, births and deaths. All other papers and information pertaining to family law (divorce), civil matters (lawsuits) and probate (last wills) are handled by the Clerk's Office of the Superior Court of California. For information on these matters, please call (831)454-2020 or visit their website at www.co.santa-cruz.ca.us/crt/courts.htm. Here are some general guidelines for doing business by mail with the Clerk or the Court:
You have the choice of coming to the County Government Center or using the mail. Case Indexes or Record searches are not done by telephone nor are Case Files reviewed to answer telephone queries.
- If you are needing copies or certified copies and know the case number, include in the request:
- Case Number,
- Case Title and
- Approximate Date
- Copies are .50 per page.Certified copies (except Final Judgement of Divorce) are $7.00 plus $1.00 for each additional page attached.
- Final Judgement of Divorce certified copies are $11.00 plus $1.00 for each additional page attached
- If you do not know the case number they will do a search for you for a fee of $5.00 per case. When mailing your request for search, please include:
- Case Title,
- Person's Names,
- Approximate Dates and
- any other information you think would help in the search
- Send your letter to:
701 Ocean Street Room 110
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
Include a check payable to "Clerk of the Court". If you don't know the exact amount, leave the register blank and under that line write, "Not to exceed $" and enter the dollar amount you estimate the maximum services to be. They will only enter the amount of service rendered. Please include your driver's license number and expiration date.
- Include a self-addressed stamped envelope with appropriate postage. They suggest $1.00 for 4-15 pages and $4.00 for every 100 pages.
- The Clerk estimates they will send any information back in 7-10 days.